Black Cod and Fennel Recipe
- 1 lb Black Cod filet, cleaned, leave the skin on one side
- ½ fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 handful of fresh or dry rosemary
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Mix the oil with the sliced fennel, olive oil and spices. Marinate the fish in this mix of oil and spices for 30 minutes.
Two ways you can cook this dish in a hot wood fired oven:
- Once the fire you built is down to coals and embers, scoop these towards the front of your oven and place a freestanding grill over the coals. Wait 5 minutes until the grill is hot, then place the marinated cod on it with the skin side down. Fish will be done in about 10 minutes or so.
- If you don’t have a freestanding grill, use a baking dish. Push the coals and embers to the left or right side of the oven and then wait until the oven temperature registers around 500° F. Place the dish at some distance from the embers. The fish will be done in 10-15 minutes.
Serve with a fresh endive and tomato salad.
Buon appetito from Los Angeles Ovenworks!